Thursday, January 13, 2011

Confusion

This beginning of the semester stress and flustered time of life brings to the surface a memory that has haunted me for a year and a half. The Fall sememster of 2009 had started and I still needed to get into a class or two. There wasn't much room in the classes I needed, and I liked to blame it on the budget cut, and the university, and the government, and Voldemort, and pretty much anyone I came in contact with. (Don't worry, thanks to Mr. Potter I never had to come face-to-face with the Dark Lord.) I really needed to meet with my Academic Advisor, which in high school is called a counselor. I asked around to see where I could find such a sought after person, and the answer I kept hearing was the third floor of the TSC, so I headed to the third floor of the TSC, hoping to find someone that could help me figure out what to do with my life.
I only knew of one way up to the third floor, and that's the path I chose. I had no idea where the room I was looking for was, so I decided to go into the first room I saw, and if it wasn't the right room they could probably tell me where I should be. Now, I was already very stressed out, and slightly nervous about trying to find this room, remember that. I walked in and yelled out, at no particular person, "Are you the counselor!?" A lady with glasses and short, spikey-ish hair stood up from her desk and said, "Well, I guess you could call me that." "Oh GOOD! Because I am just really confused and I need some help!" I practically screamed with relief. "You came to the right place," said one of the girls on the lovesac on the floor next to me. "We can make all of this more comfortable for you," said the a different girl standing up from the lovesac. I started to worry, why did I need to be comfortable? I just needed help getting into a class. Why was there a lovesac in the Academic Advisor's office, why were there so many girls in here, why were they on the lovesac together, and why were they all sporting the pixie cut?
And then it hit me. Confused-short hair-2 girls on a lovesac-comfortable-change-I am not coming out of any closet here. I poked my head out of the room to look at the plaque on the wall, "no, no, no, no, NO....not THAT kind og counselor, and academic counselor, an advisor!" I frantically explained. "Oh. Just follow that hall all the way to the end." The lady and all the girls sat back down, "Thanks....sorry." I said and I ran out of there as fast as I could.

And that was just one of my experiences with the gay-straight alliance people.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely remember this day. Such a great day in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you for real?!
    Kam, that's a CRACK UP.

    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete