Monday, October 24, 2011

Silent Night

So maybe I've been listening to Christmas music all day. Judge me.

But, last night I got a bunch of forwarded emails from my friend's dad, she is currently in the MTC.  They made me so excited I wrote her a very long DearElder.  I wrote her a real letter like a week and a half ago, but I wasn't really expecting anything back from her.  But today there was a letter in the mailbox from her.  And then I felt really awkward. Like she might think I had been creepy fast, which wasn't the case at all.

Don't worry, I wrote her another DearElder explaining the awkwardness of the first DearElder. Hopefully she'll laugh about it.

Also, I am currently trying to deep read these lines:
     There is shadow under this red rock,
     (Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
     And I will show you something different from either
     Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
     I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

Any insights. Any one?

2 comments:

  1. I just seriously think you're great. let it be known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna lie, I typed it in on google to see what poem it was, and you're missing a line. I'm not pointing that out to be snobbish, it just makes more sense with the other line to me. With the other line, I see it as a "read" rock, like a headstone, and the sun passing over it creates transitions between "Your shadow at morning striding behind you" and "your shadow at evening rising to meet you." Or maybe red is in reference to blood... Who knows. Either way, I think it's in reference to death. "I will show you fear in a handful of dust," could be something about fear of wasting your life..? Fear of death altogether? I'm just taking shots in the dark here.

    ReplyDelete